The wiki is lacking in content. You can help by creating a new article. See the to do list for more ways you can help.


From Final Fantasy Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
Malboro FF2 artwork.jpg
Final Fantasy II artwork
Main game appearance(s) Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Members and related species
Variants Carrot
Great Malboro
Malboro Menace
Malboro Terra

Malboros are monstrous plants whose body is covered in tentacle-like vines. They are recurring enemies in the Final Fantasy games, and they first appear in Final Fantasy II. Most Malboros are green, and their signature move is Bad Breath, in which they release toxic breath that can inflict various status effects on their target. Due to their bad breath, they might be named after the Marlboro brand of cigarettes.

Game appearances[edit]

Final Fantasy series[edit]

Final Fantasy II[edit]

Malboro FF2 PSP sprite.png

In Final Fantasy II, Malboros are encountered in the Cave of Mysidia (floors B1-B5) and the Arcane Labyrinth (in the Mysidia and Sorcery dungeons). Whenever a Malboro attacks, it may inflict paralysis on its target.

Final Fantasy VI[edit]

Malboro FF6 SNES sprite.png

In Final Fantasy VI, Malboros are only encountered in Darill's Tomb in the World of Ruin. Their special attack is Drool, which inflicts Sap on their target. If Relm uses Sketch on a Malboro, she either uses Bad Breath (75% chance) or Drool (25% chance). In the original Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, Malboros are instead named Mad Oscar.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series[edit]

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles[edit]

In Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, a Malboro is fought as the boss at the end of Mushroom Forest. It retains its signature Bad Breath attack, but also attacks using Slowga and, starting with the second cycle, Blizzaga.

Mario Hoops 3-on-3[edit]

In Mario Hoops 3-on-3 Malboros are featured as the main and titular obstacle of Malboro Garden. There is one positioned behind either basket. Malboros in this game have a unique appearance from most other titles, with five huge orange eyes and a long mouth. If a character gets too close to a Malboro, it uses Bad Breath, which releases purple gas that knocks and slows any character to come in contact with it.

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales[edit]

In Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales, Malboros are featured in the microgame, Malboro Masher. They retain their appearance from Mario Hoops 3-on-3.


Final Fantasy II stats
Rank HP MP Attack Accuracy Defense Evasion Magic Defense Gil
5 750 0 50 5-80 5 1-60 4-40 450-900
Treasure Weakness Resistance Absorbs
Hi-Potion, Ether Lightning Fire, Poison None
Final Fantasy VI stats
Level HP MP Attack Defense Evasion Magic Magic Defense Magic Evasion Gil EXP Type
30 2,900 980 20 95 0 10 145 0 2,292 780 ---
Steal Drops
X-Potion Remedy, Holy Water
Immune to Weakness Absorbs Immunity
--- Fire Poison, Water Imp, Death, Silence, Sleep

Bestiary navigation[edit]

Pit Fiend | Malboro (#065) | Mezzo Malboro
Borghese | Malboro (#144) | Cloudwraith
Borghese | Malboro (#241 [Monsters]) | Skeletal Horror

Names in other languages[edit]

Language Name Meaning
Japanese モルボル
French Morbol Morbol

External links[edit]

Black Mage FF NES sprite.png This article is a stub. You can help the Final Fantasy Wiki by expanding it.